How to Qualify
MKYF Lawrence Hamm, Sr. Scholarship Guidelines
A Chapter for Today … A Chapter for the Future
The MKYF Scholarships are intended to benefit students
in Montgomery County, Maryland.
In order to be eligible for the Lawrence Hamm, Sr. Scholarship, students must:
- Attend a high school in Montgomery County, MD and be classified as a high school senior
- Demonstrate volunteer and community service involvement
- Apply and receive acceptance to a college or university
In order to be considered for the award, all applicants must submit the following information:
- Completed application – typed and signed, include the 6 pages labeled “Submitted ” An electronic signature is acceptable.
- Four (4) completed application essays – typed and in the space provided. Essays are limited to 500
- Student resume (1-2 pages) – outlines leadership, extracurricular activities, work experience, awards
- College information sheet – includes list of schools applied to, intended major, career interests
- Proof of US citizenship and residency in Montgomery County, MD with copy of photo ID1
- A copy of your most recent grade report card must be forwarded or included with your application
- Signed media release and authorization – Page 1 of Submitted Application form
Applicant should send Word or PDF materials to MKYF Scholarship Committee at Scholarships@MKYF.org or MKYF Scholarship Committee, PO Box 10848, Silver Spring, MD 20914.
- Official high school transcript in a sealed envelope * or transmitted electronically from school
- An academic letter of recommendation*
- Letter from a teacher, school counselor, or school administrator addressing the applicant’s academic achievement, character and potential for success in college and beyond.
From Other Recommender such as Church, Community, Service or Related Activity:
A service letter of recommendation* verifying applicant’s participation in school-based or community-based service organization(s) with generalized dates of participation in volunteer activities, activities performed by the applicant.
(Applicant, this letter should be provided to your Recommender.)
TO: Teacher / Counselor / Principal / Mentor / Volunteer Activity Leader
RE: Applicant Name:
The student listed above is applying for a scholarship from the Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation (MKYF), a non-profit affiliated with the Silver Spring (MD) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated. The student has selected you to provide a recommendation in support of his/her application. We ask that you provide a candid assessment of the student’s academic performance, personal development and maturity, oral and written communication skills, leadership ability among peers, and anything else you believe is relevant to evaluate the student.
Please note the length of time you have known the student, in what capacity (classes taught or activity/club supervised). The letter of recommendation should be written on official stationary, and include your signature and phone number.
The letter of recommendation should be submitted by March 1 in one of the three ways:
- Email to Scholarships@MKYF.org (preferred)
- Mailed to MKYF Scholarship Committee, PO Box 10848, Silver Spring, MD 20914
- Given to student in a sealed envelope to be included in the applicant packet
- In order to be eligible for review, all Materials MUST be received by March 1st to MKYF Scholarship Committee at Scholarships@MKYF.org or the mailing address above. You will receive an email acknowledgment once MKYF has received your completed application.
- Letter must be on letterhead, signed and dated, and include the representative’s contact information (i.e., email address and phone number).
- Acceptable forms of identification include federal, state, county issued, (passport, driver’s license, school identification card with picture). If the applicant is not a U.S. citizen, proof of his/her status as a legal permanent resident or other lawful status.
- Download by clicking here.
- You can also apply online and upload the necessary files here.
Materials marked with (*) should be sent directly to MKYF Scholarship Committee at Scholarships@MKYF.org or MKYF Scholarship Committee, PO Box 10848, Silver Spring, MD 20914. Materials may be included in application submission by mail if received in a sealed envelope.
Past Scholarship Awardees
Bryant Evans Taylor
Glenn Jones, Jr.
Sahar Naghibi Khamnei
Genevieve M. Dubroof
Ruben C. Dumay
Ivy Vine Charities – Scholarship Deadline Feb. 25th
Awards totaling more than $20,000 are available to qualifying applicants. To qualify for an award, the applicant must: Be a resident of Montgomery County, Maryland, Prince George’s County, Maryland, or Washington, D.C. or Be a senior attending an accredited high...
A Holiday Email of Gratitude
Hello Ms. Turnipseed & Mr. Cooper, As I prepare for final exams in the coming weeks and embark on the holiday season, I wanted to take a moment to express my utmost gratitude to the Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation (MKYF) for selecting me as...
2022 Scholarships Available
Silver Spring (MD) Alumni Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. A Chapter for Today … A Chapter for the Future Led by the vision of Joseph F. Harris, a chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity was chartered in Montgomery County, MD on October 28, 1972. The...
Scholarship “Thank You”
Greetings Mrs. Turnipseed & Mr. Cooper, I was emailing to let you all know how my first semester of college was going. As a freshman Biology/Pre-Med major with a double minor in Chemistry and Public Health Sciences, my first semester at Xavier University of...
2021 Scholarship Application
The 2021 Lawrence Hamm, Sr. scholarship for minority and disadvantaged youth is now open. The Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation (MKYF), the charitable and philanthropic extension of the Silver Spring Alumni chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated, is...
2020 Scholarship Application
The 2020 Lawrence Hamm, Sr. scholarship for minority and disadvantaged youth is now open.
METROPOLITAN KAPPA YOUTH FOUNDATION AWARDS THREE HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS $1,500 SCHOLARSHIPS, RECEIVES RECORD NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS
Silver Spring, MD (June 8, 2018) – The Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation (MKYF) today announced that three Montgomery County students will receive the 2018 Lawrence Hamm Scholarship award. Students will receive a $1,500 scholarship to further their college studies.
MKYF Hosts 2018 Black and White Scholarship Ball
Reserve Your Ticket Online Save the date and reserve your seats. The 2018 Annual Black and White Scholarship Gala is a collaboration between the Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation, Inc. (MKYF) and the Silver Spring (MD) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity,...
MKYF Awards Three Scholarships in 2017
The Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation has received several applications for the 2017 MKYF Lawrence Hamm, Sr. scholarship for minority and disadvantaged youth. The MKYF is proud to announce three winners of this year's scholarships as Glenn Jones, Jr., Queen Griffin,...
Black & White Ball 2017
Reserve Your Ticket Online Ticket Sales are Now Closed. Ticket sells are now closed. We look forward to seeing you at this year's Black & White Ball hosted Collaboratively between the MKYF and the Silver Spring (MD) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi...