How to Qualify
MKYF Lawrence Hamm, Sr. Scholarship Guidelines
A Chapter for Today … A Chapter for the Future
The MKYF Scholarships are intended to benefit students
in Montgomery County, Maryland.
In order to be eligible for the Lawrence Hamm, Sr. Scholarship, students must:
- Attend a high school in Montgomery County, MD and be classified as a high school senior
- Demonstrate volunteer and community service involvement
- Apply and receive acceptance to a college or university
In order to be considered for the award, all applicants must submit the following information:
- Completed application – typed and signed, include the 6 pages labeled “Submitted ” An electronic signature is acceptable.
- Four (4) completed application essays – typed and in the space provided. Essays are limited to 500
- Student resume (1-2 pages) – outlines leadership, extracurricular activities, work experience, awards
- College information sheet – includes list of schools applied to, intended major, career interests
- Proof of US citizenship and residency in Montgomery County, MD with copy of photo ID1
- A copy of your most recent grade report card must be forwarded or included with your application
- Signed media release and authorization – Page 1 of Submitted Application form
Applicant should send Word or PDF materials to MKYF Scholarship Committee at Scholarships@MKYF.org or MKYF Scholarship Committee, PO Box 10848, Silver Spring, MD 20914.
- Official high school transcript in a sealed envelope * or transmitted electronically from school
- An academic letter of recommendation*
- Letter from a teacher, school counselor, or school administrator addressing the applicant’s academic achievement, character and potential for success in college and beyond.
From Other Recommender such as Church, Community, Service or Related Activity:
A service letter of recommendation* verifying applicant’s participation in school-based or community-based service organization(s) with generalized dates of participation in volunteer activities, activities performed by the applicant.
(Applicant, this letter should be provided to your Recommender.)
TO: Teacher / Counselor / Principal / Mentor / Volunteer Activity Leader
RE: Applicant Name:
The student listed above is applying for a scholarship from the Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation (MKYF), a non-profit affiliated with the Silver Spring (MD) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated. The student has selected you to provide a recommendation in support of his/her application. We ask that you provide a candid assessment of the student’s academic performance, personal development and maturity, oral and written communication skills, leadership ability among peers, and anything else you believe is relevant to evaluate the student.
Please note the length of time you have known the student, in what capacity (classes taught or activity/club supervised). The letter of recommendation should be written on official stationary, and include your signature and phone number.
The letter of recommendation should be submitted by March 1 in one of the three ways:
- Email to Scholarships@MKYF.org (preferred)
- Mailed to MKYF Scholarship Committee, PO Box 10848, Silver Spring, MD 20914
- Given to student in a sealed envelope to be included in the applicant packet
- In order to be eligible for review, all Materials MUST be received by March 1st to MKYF Scholarship Committee at Scholarships@MKYF.org or the mailing address above. You will receive an email acknowledgment once MKYF has received your completed application.
- Letter must be on letterhead, signed and dated, and include the representative’s contact information (i.e., email address and phone number).
- Acceptable forms of identification include federal, state, county issued, (passport, driver’s license, school identification card with picture). If the applicant is not a U.S. citizen, proof of his/her status as a legal permanent resident or other lawful status.
Materials marked with (*) should be sent directly to MKYF Scholarship Committee at Scholarships@MKYF.org or MKYF Scholarship Committee, PO Box 10848, Silver Spring, MD 20914. Materials may be included in application submission by mail if received in a sealed envelope.
Past Scholarship Awardees
Bryant Evans Taylor
Glenn Jones, Jr.
Sahar Naghibi Khamnei
Genevieve M. Dubroof
Ruben C. Dumay
The Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation has received several applications for the 2016 MKYF Lawrence Hamm, Sr. scholarship for minority and disadvantaged youth. The MKYF is proud to announce the winners of this year's scholarships as Benedicta Kumazah and Avanti...
The Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation continues its pursuit to recognize students who excel and seek to continue their educational aspirations in college and university. This year, the 2015 MKYF has selected Jordan Smith and Melissa LaNoire as the Lawrence Hamm, Sr....
Montgomery County student, Emanuel Minja, is selected as the sole winner of this year's Lawrence Hamm, Sr. scholarship for minority and disadvantaged youth scholarship. Mr. Minja demonstrated significant achievement in his academic record and also worked tirelessly to...
The Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation is pleased to recognize its 2013 scholarship recipients. This year's recipients are Kyana Waters and Sahar Naghibi Khamnei. Both of these students demonstrated a community service and extra curricular engagement...
Congratulations to the 2012 MKYF Scholarship recipients. Each of the winners are recognized for their academic and community service excellence. The names of the 20122 winners are: Devin Taylor Nicole Wright Andrea Kyeremah Genevieve M. Dubroof We wish them continued...
The 2011 MKYF Scholarship recipients have demonstrated both academic and social/community excellence. This year the MKYF awards two scholarships to , Nadim Khan and Ruben C. Dumay. Each of these applicants have demonstrated a strong record. The MKYF is happy to...
today [March 2, 2010], the Metropolitan Kappa Youth Foundation completed a tuition assistance payment of $500.00 on behalf of Keith Budd to Montgomery College